Nov 2, 2010

Cuthulhu Calling - Wayne June the voice of Lovecraft

The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol. 1: The Dunwich Horror & Call Of CthulhuI have just finished  The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol. 1: The Dunwich Horror & Call Of Cthulhu audio book. 


I think Lovecraft's writing lends itself to being read aloud, hence it's perfect for Audiobooks.  The only other audiobook that I have litened to was a Torchwood story, Border Princes I believe.  That was read by Eve Myles, one of the actors on the show and I don't know if it was the Welsh accent, or the way the story was written, but I found it hard to follow along and really visualize the story.


The Voice of Lovecraft


The first thing that surprised me about the narrator of Volume one was his age.  As I lay listening to the deep resonant voice of Wayne June I imagined a bearded old timer.  A man whose had his fair share of quality whisky and done time in a few sea side taverns.


His voice I think really leans something extra to Lovecraft's work,  depth and gravitas.  Here's an audio sample of him narrating.


He also narrates some Edgar Allen Poe, for those fans of the macabre.


Are there any particular voice actors who you think capture the feel of a certain authors work? Who's your favourite?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...