Aug 27, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday- 27 August

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

This week, one of the books I am reading is John Marsden's Tomorrow when the War began.  Below is the first sentence:
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
I was ever so slightly put off with this first sentence, but then I think Marsden is doing a good job of trying to give us the voice of a teenager –it’s unsure, the thinking is a little chaotic.
Regardless, I am hoping to find some time to really dig into this book, I suspect I will like it, given the praise it’s received from certain members of my family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...